The Selenus set you have is called the “Tulip Style”. This style was made in Germany from the 18th and 19th Centuries. They varied greatly in size and were almost always crafted from bone.
In 1616 Augustus, the Duke of Brunswick-Luneburg, published the first German chess book under the pseudonym Gustavas Selenus. Gustavas is an anagram of Augustus with one "u" replaced by a "v." The name Selenus comes from Selene, Greek goddess of the moon, a reference to Luneburg (Luna is Latin for the moon). In addition to chess instruction, his book contained excellent illustrations of contemporary chess pieces. German chess pieces at the time tended to be slender with nested floral crowns. The book was so successful that pieces of this pattern became known as the "Selenus” pieces. The pieces became taller, thinner, and more elaborate over time. Their apparent floral nature lead some to name them Garden or Tulip sets. Selenus pattern sets were commonly made in Germany and Central Europe until about 1914 when they were completely eclipsed by the more playable and stable Staunton Pattern, which was introduced in 1849.
THESE ARE ACTUAL HAND CARVED BONE CHESSMEN
We're proud to offer our new Layaway program!
- With Layaway, purchasing from us has never been easier or more affordable. It allows you to purchase selected House of Staunton products by making payments over time.
- Simply choose the items that you wish to purchase and how many months you wish to make the payments over.We'll automatically charge your debit/credit card each month. Once you've paid for the item/s in full, they'll be sent to you. It's that simple!
The House of Staunton warranties this item to be free from manufacturing defect for a period of one year from the date of purchase.
Please click here to download a copy of our warranty and guide to caring for your House of Staunton Chess Pieces.
Write Your Own Review
Included with Purchase
- Certificate of Authenticity
- Engraved Registered Plaque
- Individual Production Number
|Chess Board Included?||The Chess Board featured is for photographic purposes only and must be purchased separately|
|Manufacturer||The House of Staunton|
|Fitted Coffer Compatible?||Fits in Fitted Coffer|
|King Height||4.0'' inch / 10.16 cm|
|King Base Diameter||1.3'' inch / 3.30 cm|
|Recommended Chess Board Size||2.25" inch / 5.7 cm|
|Basepad Material||Billiard Cloth|
|Median Set Weight||Natural Bone - No Additional Weighting|
|Total Number of Pieces||32 Chess Pieces|