Popular Chess Openings
Our Price: $179.95
Out of stock
The five volume Encyclopedia of Chess Openings A, B, C, D, E consists of 500 sections based on opening codes. It contains ECO A 4th edition, ECO B 4th edition, ECO C 5th edition, ECO D 4th edition and ECO E 4th edition.
Regular Price: $129.95
Our Price: $109.95
Out of stockIn chess, braving the gap often leads to disaster after a few moves. We should be able to avoid things going so far. The ChessBase Opening Encyclopedia offers you an effective remedy against all sorts of semi-digested knowledge and a means of building up a comprehensive and powerful repertoire. Learn More
Our Price: $99.95
This product features seven volumes of Modern Chess Opening series, covering almost all chess openings. The series provide detailed classification and contain a lot of training material.
Our Price: $99.00
NM Dana Mackenzie started playing tournament chess during the "Fischer boom" of 1971-1972 and never quit. Champion of North Carolina in 1985, 1987, and became master in 1988. He has a 1-0 career record against world chess champions.Learn More
Our Price: $79.95
THE SNIPER! A Dynamic Universal System for the Aggressive Black Player - 11 hours on 4 dvds
The SNIPER! is a dynamic and universal opening system that fills in the gaps for the Black player who plays the Accelerated Dragon,the Dzindzi Indian, or other Black Fianchetto defences. Black's system of development with 1 Learn MoreOur Price: $69.95
Out of stock
The Small Encyclopedia of Chess Openings is based on the same 500 fundamental codes and system of elimination but it's a fifth the length.Our Price: $64.95
Out of stock
The Small Encyclopaedia of Chess Openings is based on the same 500 fundamental codes and system of elimination but it's a fifth the length. Instead of five books just one! The best and most up to date information. The creative output of generations of chess masters filtered for the reader's convenience.Our Price: $59.95
Features 40 Chess Openings with over 10 hours of instructional chess on DVD. Roman will guide you through these essential openings with his recommended lines - ideas that will give you the edge in your middlegame.Our Price: $59.95
The Sicilian Dragon Series - Complete 3 Volume Set
Easy Way to Learn How to Play The Sicilian Dragon - 2 hours 6 minutes
"Gaining The Winning Edge"
GM Timur Gareev (Currently Ranked in the top 100 Players in the World) presents on this DVD the thematical ideas and motives in The Sicilian Dragon.
GM Gareev covers the key ideas and tactical routes for Black to gain a counter-attacking edge. Also Modern Examples-Mastering the sharpest theoretical variations and understanding White's attacking motives. Material is made easy to understand and learn by avoiding long complicated lines.
This Dvd Dragon Series covers lines for both White and Black. The DVD starts with introduction and continues on to the first step of classic examples by Simagin. Phase two covers understanding white's attacking motives: Karpov-Kortchnoi. And phase three covers engaging in theoretical battles: Modern Elite Chess examples.
This DVD serves to introduce the player to the thematical ideas and motives in Dragon variation. GM Timur discusses the key ideas and tactical routes for black to gain the counter-attacking edge.
- Simagin Classic Games: fundamentals & key ideas
- Karpov-Kortchnoi: White's flawless execution of the plan-Gaining awareness of opponent's potential
- Elite Chess: Modern Examples-Mastering the sharpest theoretical variations
Beating TheYugo-Slav Attack 9.0-0-0 with 9....d5 PART 1 2 hours 36 minutes
Presented by: GM Timur Gareev & GM Ronen Har-Zv
White plays 9.0-0-0 leaving the Bishop on f1 this is a serious alternative in the Yugoslav attack instead of 9. Bc4. White goes immediately for a kingside attack while Black counters with 9 Learn MoreOur Price: $59.00
Volume 1: Chess opening Principles. Demonstrates that you don't need to try to memorize hundreds of openings variations as long as you play the opening by following common basic ideas. You'll learn all about fast development, centralization, mobility, and defense, all of which will help you get a good position which will lead directly into a playable middle game. 20 chapters, 90 minutes.Learn More
Volume 2: Basic Tactics and Strategy. You'll discover a variety of tactical weapons that you could use over and over to win material and gain an advantage over your opponents. You'll also learn all about chess strategy, plans and formations that will provide you with a lasting edge. 27 chapters, 100 minutes.
Volume 3: Endgames. When few pieces are left on the board, knowing the proper procedures can spell the difference between victory and defeat. 22 chapters, 45 minutes + bonus material.Our Price: $59.00
Volume 3: Closed Games 1.d4 or 1.Nf3. Queen's Gambit, Reti, Benko, Grünfeld, Dutch, Slav, English Opening and several Indian Defenses (Bogo-Indian, Nimzo-Indian, King's Indian). 33 chapters, 150 minutes.Learn MoreOur Price: $54.95Simon's frank, clear and understandable delivery of material of which he has extensive knowledge certainly aids the viewer in increasing their understanding of these opening lines. Simon's first DVD has been internationally acclaimed as setting new standards in this format for his clear approach to delivering sometimes complex material. Learn MoreOur Price: $49.95
David is a renowned expert and author on the English opening. The English is a popular choice among beginners and club players. This series takes it to the next levelRecommended for Intermediate – Advanced PlayersLearn MoreOur Price: $49.95The Modern Benoni was invented in 1927 by Frank Marshall at the New York Chess Tournament. Marshall played it twice, first for a draw against Capablanca, and again later losing to Aron Nimzowitch whom labeled the Modern Benoni an "unfortunate extravagance" in his annotations. In the 1950s interest in the system revived, as the King's Indian Defense gained in popularity among Soviet players and their investigations branched into related opening systems such as the Benoni. The imbalance inherent in the pawn structure of the Modern Benoni and the counter-chances this implies for Black appeals to aggressive players. Learn MoreOur Price: $49.95
IM Bill Paschall currently resides in Budapest, Hungary. Billw as the Boylston Chess Club Champion 2002, finished 1st at the Foxwoods Open 2002, Two-Time New England Open Champion, and has defeated more than 20 IGM's in tournament play.Learn MoreOur Price: $49.95Hosted by GM Leonid Kritz. The a6 Slav occurs after 4...a6. Black seeks an early b5, either before or after capturing at c4. Chebanenko Slav Defense aka Chameleon is a current and very popular strategy between players who want a flexible position against 1.d4, or want to disorient White. Learn MoreOur Price: $49.95The Queen's Gambit is one of the oldest known chess openings. In early modern chess, queen pawn openings were not in fashion, and the Queen's Gambit did not become common until the 1873 tournament in Vienna. As the appreciation for positional play increased and was developed by both Steinitz and Tarrasch the Queen's Gambit grew more popular. The Queen's Gambit is still frequently played and it remains an important part of many grandmasters opening repertoires. Learn More
Regular Price: $52.95
Our Price: $47.95
The Najdorf system in the Sicilian Defense has a legendary reputation as a defensive weapon for Black. It is an opening where people often strive for a full point, instead of simply defending the position with the black pieces.Our Price: $41.95
Encyclopedia of Chess Openings chain is made up of innumerable chains - games. Each game has the precisely defined place in this chain, which depends on estimation of a new move in opening, while the complete value of the book depends on the correctness of these estimations.Our Price: $39.95
Out of stock
The fourth thoroughly revised and updated edition of the Encyclopaedia of Chess Openings, Volume D, brings an additional 56 pages of brand new material on 1. d4 d5 & 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 g6 followed by 3...d5: Queen's Gambit (Slav, QG Accepted, Orthodox, Tarrasch, Tartakower, etc.), Gruenfeld, Queen's Pawn, etc.Our Price: $39.95
This is probably the most famous chess book ever written and is certainly the most influential chess book ever written.
Paul Rudolf von Bilguer (21 September 1815 - 16 September 1840) was a German chess master and chess theoretician from Ludwigslust, Mecklenburg-Schwerin.Our Price: $39.95New In Chess Yearbook, which appears four times a year, contains the latest news in chess openings, and each issue brings you dozens of new ideas on the cutting edge of modern chess theory. The Yearbook not only covers the latest fashion, but also offers fresh insights into underrated gambits, rare continuations, and almost forgotten weapons. Learn MoreOur Price: $39.95New In Chess Yearbook, which appears four times a year, contains the latest news in chess openings, and each issue brings you dozens of new ideas on the cutting edge of modern chess theory. The Yearbook not only covers the latest fashion, but also offers fresh insights into underrated gambits, rare continuations, and almost forgotten weapons. Learn MoreOur Price: $39.95New In Chess Yearbook, which appears four times a year, contains the latest news in chess openings, and each issue brings you dozens of new ideas on the cutting edge of modern chess theory. The Yearbook not only covers the latest fashion, but also offers fresh insights into underrated gambits, rare continuations, and almost forgotten weapons. Learn More
- P.C. from LA writes, "I knew I had to buy your set of chessmen. They are fantastic. The case is gorgeous. And even the chess board is beautiful, despite it being one of your least expensive chess boards."
- R.H. from NY writes, "The chess set came yesterday and it is so beautiful!!!!! It was a dreary dismal day here, cold and rainy and receiving the set made it feel like the sun had come out."
- D.B. from WA writes, "The Marshall chess set arrived last weekend. Opening the package was better than Christmas. To cut a long story short, this set is the finest I've ever seen or even held in my hands."
- S.L. from CA writes, "The 4"Collector chess set that arrived at our home in Davis, CA is incomparable! My son & I joyfully unwrapped the boxwood & ebony pieces & admired their graceful beauty, pawn by pawn, piece by piece."
- M.N. from TX writes, "The chess sets arrived today. WOW, I had heard that the House of Staunton chess sets were the best around and now I can see why! Both sets are absolutely beautiful. I know I'm going to enjoy the Zagreb set."
- B.R. from IL writes, "I just received the new chess board and it's just beautiful! The new chessmen look great sitting on it, and I'm sure it will give me hours of pleasure playing the greatest game of all !"
- D.L. from SC writes, "The chess pieces arrived and are absolutely beautiful. I may not play like a grandmaster, but I will feel like one. Thank you for your help and prompt attention."
- E.V. from CA writes, "I've just received my chess men : they are absolutely astonishing! I knew from the pictures that they were beautiful but they are much more than this: they're real masterpieces!"
- R.G. from Alaska writes, "I have just received my order of Professional Series chess pieces. I must say that they are gorgeous! I felt I was treated as if one of the family in the way the order was taken and delivered. I'm a very happy customer!"
- D.O. from NJ writes, "The chess set and chess board are incredible. The pictures looked great, but they don't do this set justice. I can't believe there is a finer classic Staunton chess set out there."
- B.O. from CO writes, "I am writing to you to express my deep satisfaction with the House of Staunton chess set I received from my wife as a 40th birthday gift. It is truly beautiful. Thanks"
- G.M. from MS writes, "I received the Rosewood Players chess set today and all I can say is... outstanding! It is a magnificent set. I couldn't ask for a better chess set, it puts my set from the USCF I got in the 80's to shame."
- P.M. from OK writes, "The chess set I ordered from you came in mint condition, expertly wrapped and it is a work of art. It is rare to find items crafted so well and I will certainly recommend The House of Staunton to others."
- B.W. from CA writes, "I just received the chess set (Players Series) and I could not be more pleased! The quality and workmanship for a set in this price range is amazing. I am looking forward to my next purchase."
- R.R. from CA writes, "The chess set arrived today. Was struck by overall superior quality and weight. The Rosewood is quite beautiful. More than I expected. Thanks for accommodating extra queens."
- R.B. from OR writes, "I received my Players Series set today and just wanted to let you know how pleased I am with these pieces. They are beautiful. Thank you for a fine product. Worth every penny."
- P.G. from OR writes, "The set arrived today, and words fail to describe how gorgeous it looks. You've done something that I've always wanted to do: take an object I care about, and raise the world standard for functionality and aesthetics. Well done."
- L.L. from NV writes, "I cannot begin to tell you how pleased I am with the chess set which arrived today. It's so exquisite, I can't stop looking at it. Though the pictures on your website are beautiful, they don't do justice to actually seeing them in person."
- L.L. from AZ writes, "This chess set exceeded all my expectations. I've been looking for a red-lacquered chess set for quite sometime, and this is the most beautiful I've ever seen. Thank you, also, for meticulously wrapping each piece."
- R.A. from AZ writes, "I can honestly say that all things considered your chess sets are better than Jaques, because you provide the same if not better quality, but at a price that is much easier to bear."
- F.B. from UT writes, "Thanks so much! My brother is going to love his first real chess set. You are the best. But you know that already. Keep me in the loop on how you plan to overtake all the crap plastic sets out there."
- R.F. from WY writes, "Just a note to thank you for the beautiful chess set I received, and the great(!) service that your business delivers. You were very patient and accommodating during my selection process. Now if I could only learn how to win a game..."
- B.F. from Idaho writes,"My plastic Collectors chess set arrived today, and I must tell you, Yes, to me it IS well worth what I paid for it. It is massive, heavy, elegant and high-class. A true work of art."
- A.S. from ND writes, "I just received my Plastic Collector's set and it's every bit as impressive as I had expected it to be. Not only is it the finest plastic chess set I've ever seen, but the biggest bargain, as well. That's a rare combination."
- H.O. from ND writes, "Received my beautiful ebonized Winsor chess set today. It is awesome. A work of art I will treasure & play with. I can't wait to save up enough for my House of Staunton chess board."
- J.E. from SD writes, "I recieved my chess set yesterday, I could not be happier. The quality is above what I expected. I would like to own a Jaques set someday but until then I will be perfectly happy with my Reykjavik II Chess Set."
- M.M. from KS writes, "I received the chess set today! I can only say that the photos on your web site do no justice to the Collector Series chess pieces. I hand waxed them as you instructed, and they are truly exceptional."
- B.B. from OK writes, "Thanks again, the chessmen and the chess board both got much praise when I took them to work today. Everyone was as impressed as I was, with the beauty and quality of both my chess board and the wonderful chessmen."
- A.F. from TX writes, "I think you've hit a home run. HOS' chess boxes are beautiful. Absolutely the best I have ever seen in this price range. Will definitely be ordering some more."