Popular Chess Openings
Our Price: $99.00
NM Dana Mackenzie started playing tournament chess during the "Fischer boom" of 1971-1972 and never quit. Champion of North Carolina in 1985, 1987, and became master in 1988. He has a 1-0 career record against world chess champions.Learn More
Our Price: $79.95
THE SNIPER! A Dynamic Universal System for the Aggressive Black Player - 11 hours on 4 dvds
The SNIPER! is a dynamic and universal opening system that fills in the gaps for the Black player who plays the Accelerated Dragon,the Dzindzi Indian, or other Black Fianchetto defences. Black's system of development with 1 Learn MoreOur Price: $59.95
The Sicilian Dragon Series - Complete 3 Volume Set
Easy Way to Learn How to Play The Sicilian Dragon - 2 hours 6 minutes
"Gaining The Winning Edge"
GM Timur Gareev (Currently Ranked in the top 100 Players in the World) presents on this DVD the thematical ideas and motives in The Sicilian Dragon.
GM Gareev covers the key ideas and tactical routes for Black to gain a counter-attacking edge. Also Modern Examples-Mastering the sharpest theoretical variations and understanding White's attacking motives. Material is made easy to understand and learn by avoiding long complicated lines.
This Dvd Dragon Series covers lines for both White and Black. The DVD starts with introduction and continues on to the first step of classic examples by Simagin. Phase two covers understanding white's attacking motives: Karpov-Kortchnoi. And phase three covers engaging in theoretical battles: Modern Elite Chess examples.
This DVD serves to introduce the player to the thematical ideas and motives in Dragon variation. GM Timur discusses the key ideas and tactical routes for black to gain the counter-attacking edge.
- Simagin Classic Games: fundamentals & key ideas
- Karpov-Kortchnoi: White's flawless execution of the plan-Gaining awareness of opponent's potential
- Elite Chess: Modern Examples-Mastering the sharpest theoretical variations
Beating TheYugo-Slav Attack 9.0-0-0 with 9....d5 PART 1 2 hours 36 minutes
Presented by: GM Timur Gareev & GM Ronen Har-Zv
White plays 9.0-0-0 leaving the Bishop on f1 this is a serious alternative in the Yugoslav attack instead of 9. Bc4. White goes immediately for a kingside attack while Black counters with 9 Learn MoreOur Price: $59.95
Features 40 Chess Openings with over 10 hours of instructional chess on DVD. Roman will guide you through these essential openings with his recommended lines - ideas that will give you the edge in your middlegame.Our Price: $59.00
Volume 1: Chess opening Principles. Demonstrates that you don't need to try to memorize hundreds of openings variations as long as you play the opening by following common basic ideas. You'll learn all about fast development, centralization, mobility, and defense, all of which will help you get a good position which will lead directly into a playable middle game. 20 chapters, 90 minutes.Learn More
Volume 2: Basic Tactics and Strategy. You'll discover a variety of tactical weapons that you could use over and over to win material and gain an advantage over your opponents. You'll also learn all about chess strategy, plans and formations that will provide you with a lasting edge. 27 chapters, 100 minutes.
Volume 3: Endgames. When few pieces are left on the board, knowing the proper procedures can spell the difference between victory and defeat. 22 chapters, 45 minutes + bonus material.Our Price: $59.00
Volume 3: Closed Games 1.d4 or 1.Nf3. Queen's Gambit, Reti, Benko, Grünfeld, Dutch, Slav, English Opening and several Indian Defenses (Bogo-Indian, Nimzo-Indian, King's Indian). 33 chapters, 150 minutes.Learn MoreOur Price: $54.95Simon's frank, clear and understandable delivery of material of which he has extensive knowledge certainly aids the viewer in increasing their understanding of these opening lines. Simon's first DVD has been internationally acclaimed as setting new standards in this format for his clear approach to delivering sometimes complex material. Learn MoreOur Price: $49.95
IM Bill Paschall currently resides in Budapest, Hungary. Billw as the Boylston Chess Club Champion 2002, finished 1st at the Foxwoods Open 2002, Two-Time New England Open Champion, and has defeated more than 20 IGM's in tournament play.Learn MoreOur Price: $49.95The Modern Benoni was invented in 1927 by Frank Marshall at the New York Chess Tournament. Marshall played it twice, first for a draw against Capablanca, and again later losing to Aron Nimzowitch whom labeled the Modern Benoni an "unfortunate extravagance" in his annotations. In the 1950s interest in the system revived, as the King's Indian Defense gained in popularity among Soviet players and their investigations branched into related opening systems such as the Benoni. The imbalance inherent in the pawn structure of the Modern Benoni and the counter-chances this implies for Black appeals to aggressive players. Learn MoreOur Price: $49.95Hosted by GM Leonid Kritz. The a6 Slav occurs after 4...a6. Black seeks an early b5, either before or after capturing at c4. Chebanenko Slav Defense aka Chameleon is a current and very popular strategy between players who want a flexible position against 1.d4, or want to disorient White. Learn MoreOur Price: $34.95Why is the Ruy Lopez the most popular chess opening ever played? Why do World Chess Champions love to play the Ruy Lopez? Why do chess trainers frequently recommend their students to play the Ruy Lopez? Because there does not exist a more versatile and dynamic chess opening (for both sides!). Learn MoreOur Price: $34.95The Evans Gambit is one of the most dangerous chess openings ever invented as white recklessly sacrifices a pawn on move 4 to obtain a lasting initiative with an enduring lead in development. The Evans Gambit arises via the move order 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Bc5 4. b4!? – as white sacrifices this pawn to distract black’s minor pieces and open lines for instant attacking prospects as black’s king will have a difficult time getting out of the center. Learn MoreOur Price: $32.95The Smith-Morra Gambit is an extremely effective surprise weapon because many Sicilian Defense players wrongly believe the Smith-Morra to be outdated and easily refutable. While the Smith-Morra Gambit is rarely seen at the elite Grandmaster level, it remains a strong opening for white against the Sicilian Defense as black is guaranteed to face long-lasting, unpleasant pressure in every part of the board. Learn MoreOur Price: $29.95In this DVD series, we will review seven carefully chosen games in which white mounted a successful attack against the Sicilian Defense. The critical theme that ties all the games together is that white is best advised to develop his pieces to active squares and create a sound, harmonious position that limits counterplay before launching the trademark pawn storm to break down the defenses to the black king. While opening theory is not the main subject of the series, the seven games come from many different Sicilians, most prominently the Dragon, Taimanov, Sveshnikov, and Najdorf variations. All of the chosen games are discussed in their entirety, and all of them were played by world class players. It is my hope that this series will give the aspiring 1. e4 player knowledge, experience, and inspiration in tackling the most complex of all opening systems. Learn More
Complete Roman's New Improvements in Opening Theory & Maximize Your Opening Success with Black : Volumes 12 & 13 (2 DVDs)Our Price: $29.95Hosted by Grandmaster Roman Dzindzichashvili, former US and Russian Champion and Coach of World Champion Garry Kasparov, this video is essential material for all tournament players looking for the latest in opening theory. Learn MoreOur Price: $29.95In this chess DVD, Grandmaster Gregory Kaidanov covers the most popular opening positions in the history of chess that occur after 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 – exactly the type of position that appears very frequently in the games of beginners and intermediate players. Learn More
Roman's Complete Rapid and Complete Opening Repertoire for the Tournament Player : Volumes 5 & 6 (2 DVDs)Our Price: $29.95Roman offers a complete rapid opening repertoire for the tournament player geared toward those who dont have the time or want to study for hours on end and still achieve good results! The first volume looks at the white side, where Roman advocates 1.d4. He shows good practical setups for you to meet any of the defensive setups and popular defenses Black might throw at you. Volume 2 shows how to play Black and meet any common first move from White. Against 1.e4, Roman advocates a system combining d6, Nf6, and e5. Against 1.d4, he recommend the Nimzo-Indian. Learn MoreOur Price: $29.95Simon's frank, clear and understandable delivery of material of which he has extensive knowledge certainly aids the viewer in increasing their understanding of these opening lines. Simon's first DVD has been internationally acclaimed as setting new standards in this format for his clear approach to delivering sometimes complex material. Learn MoreOur Price: $29.95The Janisch Gambit is an exceptionally effective surprise weapon for black against the Ruy Lopez. Also known as the Schliemann Defense, black kicks off the game by immediately offering a pawn sacrifice on move 3 with 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 f5!? – resembling a reversed Vienna Gambit or King’s Gambit in that black is rapidly introducing extra firepower with the f-pawn to attack white’s center. Learn MoreOur Price: $29.95Chess grandmaster and author Gawain Jones presents Killer Grand Prix a DVD that takes a comprehensive look at the white side of The Grand Prix Attack. Regarded as one of the worlds leading exponents of this opening, Gawain reveals the secrets behind his success in a system that has even been used by the current world number one, Magnus Carlsen to defeat former FIDE World Champion, Veselin Topalov. Learn MoreOur Price: $29.95This chess DVD introduces the viewer to a very solid chess opening – the Slav Defense with 4….a6, also called the Chebanenko Variation or Chameleon Variation. The chess DVD is structured with the first four clips devoted to sideline variations which are not especially dangerous but are played frequently, and as a Slav Defense player you should be familiar with the most effective ideas on how to play against these sidelines. Learn MoreOur Price: $29.95If you are looking for an opening for black against 1. e4 where you are guaranteed to be able to fight for a win in every variation, look no further! The Sicilian Najdorf is the most aggressive weapon for black against 1. e4, consistently providing the most double-edged positions in chess over the last 70 years. Learn MoreOur Price: $29.95This chess DVD covers one of the most dynamic openings ever played – the King’s Indian Defense! The King’s Indian Defense is the perfect opening weapon against 1. d4 for players who naturally display a tactical and dynamic style. This system is immensely popular at all levels because it gives black excellent winning chances against 1. d4. Learn MoreOur Price: $29.95Simon's frank, clear and understandable delivery of material of which he has extensive knowledge certainly aids the viewer in increasing their understanding of these opening lines. Simon's first DVD has been internationally acclaimed as setting new standards in this format for his clear approach to delivering sometimes complex material. Chapters are broken up through chess-related montages maintaining a viewing interest from start to finish. Learn MoreOur Price: $29.95The French Defense is one of the most powerful weapons for black against 1. e4, based on an incredibly solid positional foundation that guarantees a minimum of fighting equality if not more for black from the opening. In the chess DVD ¨Crushing White – The French Defense¨ GM Damian Lemos shares his years of experience and intimate knowledge of the French Defense with the help of presenter FM Will Stewart. GM Lemos is one of the world`s leading experts on the French Defense and has effectively employed this chess opening at the higher levels for many years. This chess DVD teaches viewers the fundamentals of this solid opening system and progresses to deeper ideas that Lemos has researched and often used in his own games. Learn MoreOur Price: $29.95This chess DVD is an in-depth analysis of the Berlin Wall opening. It starts with some side variations and moves chapter by chapter towards the main position of the opening – the Berlin Endgame. While working on this DVD, my intention was not only to provide the listeners with detailed variations, but also to help them achieve deeper positional comprehension about how to play this unique type of opening struggle. Learn MoreOur Price: $29.95Grandmaster Simon Williams, the world's leading exponent of The Classical Dutch, introduces his debut DVD where the viewer explores the spectrum of exciting opportunities that Black will encounter when playing this opening. With a running time of over 6 hours, this innovative chess tutorial DVD is serious value for money. Learn MoreOur Price: $28.95The Stonewall Defense is an extremely effective chess opening for black against 1. d4 – representing a solid system that is very difficult for white to crack. The Stonewall Defense involves black placing pawns on the light squares d5, e6, and f5 to establish an iron grip on the center, specifically restricting a potential breakthrough by white involving an e4 push. Learn MoreOur Price: $28.95FM Alisa Melekhina provides a comprehensive overview of alternatives to the main line of the KID, demonstrating the opening’s viability. She uses a clear structure of dividing the alternatives between the typical attacking and more position exd4 lines. Within that structure, she suggests ways to harness the 7. ..Na6 or 7. ..Nbd7 sidelines to adapt to White’s play and choose which of the two modes of the KID to play. Learn MoreOur Price: $27.95The opening is the most important phase of the game in chess because you have to come out swinging, desperately attempting to punish the slightest inaccuracy by your opponent. At any level in chess, from beginner to World Champion, the player who is able to achieve rapid pressure in the opening is going to have better chances of maintaining a long-term advantage. I Learn MoreOur Price: $27.95GM Michal Krasenkow is one of the most respected chess trainers in the world. He is a FIDE Senior Trainer with decades of teaching and playing experience. GM Krasenkow’s crossed the 2700 FIDE rating mark in 2002 and entered the world top ten rating list, and remains a very strong Grandmaster today at over 2640 FIDE. Due to his extensive experience at the elite level, GM Krasenkow is a leading authority on many of the most complicated opening variations. Learn MoreOur Price: $27.95The Caro-Kann Defense is an extremely solid opening choice for black against 1. e4. While the Advanced Variation involving 1. e4 c6 2. d4 d5 3. e5 is certainly the most topical variation for white in the 21st century, it is definitely the most thoroughly studied and well-known line by Caro-Kann players. Learn MoreOur Price: $27.95The Accelerated Dragon is an exceptionally effective system for black against 1. e4 because black develops rapidly and achieves strong activity early in the game via minor piece-play in the center. The Accelerated Dragon has been employed by countless top Grandmasters over the last 70 years, including legendary names Viktor Korchnoi, Vladimir Kramnik, Alexander Morozevich, Vassily Ivanchuk, Alexander Khalifman, and many more. Learn MoreOur Price: $26.95The Benko gambit is one of the sharpest answers Black can employ against 1.d4, sacrificing a pawn very early in the opening to obtain a temporary initiative in the center and permanent pressure on the queenside. And that is exactly why any respectable 1. d4 player should have a solid system prepared against this wild gambit! In this chess DVD GM Damien Lemos dissects his preferred Fianchetto Variation for white against the Benko Gambit, explaining the subtle tactical nuances and positional intricacies that have granted him numerous impressive victories at the Grandmaster level. Learn MoreOur Price: $24.95It is always nice to win a game quickly. But some opening traps are based only on hopes that the opponent will make a serious mistake. If the opponents play correctly, the trap could backfire. On this DVD Susan will take you through a number of opening traps & short games. Learn MoreOur Price: $24.95The Modern Defence is a tough system based on counterattack. In this new three-volume Foxy Openings series IM Andrew Martin maps out a repertoire for Black for use by players of any level. The Modern creates difficult positions which are ideal if you want to play to win with Black. Learn More
- P.C. from LA writes, "I knew I had to buy your set of chessmen. They are fantastic. The case is gorgeous. And even the chess board is beautiful, despite it being one of your least expensive chess boards."
- R.H. from NY writes, "The chess set came yesterday and it is so beautiful!!!!! It was a dreary dismal day here, cold and rainy and receiving the set made it feel like the sun had come out."
- D.B. from WA writes, "The Marshall chess set arrived last weekend. Opening the package was better than Christmas. To cut a long story short, this set is the finest I've ever seen or even held in my hands."
- S.L. from CA writes, "The 4"Collector chess set that arrived at our home in Davis, CA is incomparable! My son & I joyfully unwrapped the boxwood & ebony pieces & admired their graceful beauty, pawn by pawn, piece by piece."
- M.N. from TX writes, "The chess sets arrived today. WOW, I had heard that the House of Staunton chess sets were the best around and now I can see why! Both sets are absolutely beautiful. I know I'm going to enjoy the Zagreb set."
- B.R. from IL writes, "I just received the new chess board and it's just beautiful! The new chessmen look great sitting on it, and I'm sure it will give me hours of pleasure playing the greatest game of all !"
- D.L. from SC writes, "The chess pieces arrived and are absolutely beautiful. I may not play like a grandmaster, but I will feel like one. Thank you for your help and prompt attention."
- E.V. from CA writes, "I've just received my chess men : they are absolutely astonishing! I knew from the pictures that they were beautiful but they are much more than this: they're real masterpieces!"
- R.G. from Alaska writes, "I have just received my order of Professional Series chess pieces. I must say that they are gorgeous! I felt I was treated as if one of the family in the way the order was taken and delivered. I'm a very happy customer!"
- D.O. from NJ writes, "The chess set and chess board are incredible. The pictures looked great, but they don't do this set justice. I can't believe there is a finer classic Staunton chess set out there."
- B.O. from CO writes, "I am writing to you to express my deep satisfaction with the House of Staunton chess set I received from my wife as a 40th birthday gift. It is truly beautiful. Thanks"
- G.M. from MS writes, "I received the Rosewood Players chess set today and all I can say is... outstanding! It is a magnificent set. I couldn't ask for a better chess set, it puts my set from the USCF I got in the 80's to shame."
- P.M. from OK writes, "The chess set I ordered from you came in mint condition, expertly wrapped and it is a work of art. It is rare to find items crafted so well and I will certainly recommend The House of Staunton to others."
- B.W. from CA writes, "I just received the chess set (Players Series) and I could not be more pleased! The quality and workmanship for a set in this price range is amazing. I am looking forward to my next purchase."
- R.R. from CA writes, "The chess set arrived today. Was struck by overall superior quality and weight. The Rosewood is quite beautiful. More than I expected. Thanks for accommodating extra queens."
- R.B. from OR writes, "I received my Players Series set today and just wanted to let you know how pleased I am with these pieces. They are beautiful. Thank you for a fine product. Worth every penny."
- P.G. from OR writes, "The set arrived today, and words fail to describe how gorgeous it looks. You've done something that I've always wanted to do: take an object I care about, and raise the world standard for functionality and aesthetics. Well done."
- L.L. from NV writes, "I cannot begin to tell you how pleased I am with the chess set which arrived today. It's so exquisite, I can't stop looking at it. Though the pictures on your website are beautiful, they don't do justice to actually seeing them in person."
- L.L. from AZ writes, "This chess set exceeded all my expectations. I've been looking for a red-lacquered chess set for quite sometime, and this is the most beautiful I've ever seen. Thank you, also, for meticulously wrapping each piece."
- R.A. from AZ writes, "I can honestly say that all things considered your chess sets are better than Jaques, because you provide the same if not better quality, but at a price that is much easier to bear."
- F.B. from UT writes, "Thanks so much! My brother is going to love his first real chess set. You are the best. But you know that already. Keep me in the loop on how you plan to overtake all the crap plastic sets out there."
- R.F. from WY writes, "Just a note to thank you for the beautiful chess set I received, and the great(!) service that your business delivers. You were very patient and accommodating during my selection process. Now if I could only learn how to win a game..."
- B.F. from Idaho writes,"My plastic Collectors chess set arrived today, and I must tell you, Yes, to me it IS well worth what I paid for it. It is massive, heavy, elegant and high-class. A true work of art."
- A.S. from ND writes, "I just received my Plastic Collector's set and it's every bit as impressive as I had expected it to be. Not only is it the finest plastic chess set I've ever seen, but the biggest bargain, as well. That's a rare combination."
- H.O. from ND writes, "Received my beautiful ebonized Winsor chess set today. It is awesome. A work of art I will treasure & play with. I can't wait to save up enough for my House of Staunton chess board."
- J.E. from SD writes, "I recieved my chess set yesterday, I could not be happier. The quality is above what I expected. I would like to own a Jaques set someday but until then I will be perfectly happy with my Reykjavik II Chess Set."
- M.M. from KS writes, "I received the chess set today! I can only say that the photos on your web site do no justice to the Collector Series chess pieces. I hand waxed them as you instructed, and they are truly exceptional."
- B.B. from OK writes, "Thanks again, the chessmen and the chess board both got much praise when I took them to work today. Everyone was as impressed as I was, with the beauty and quality of both my chess board and the wonderful chessmen."
- A.F. from TX writes, "I think you've hit a home run. HOS' chess boxes are beautiful. Absolutely the best I have ever seen in this price range. Will definitely be ordering some more."