The Modern Scandinavian
Themes, Structures and Plans in an Increasingly Popular Chess OpeningProduct Code: B0098NIC
Themes, Structures & Plans in an Increasingly Popular Chess Opening
Matthias Wahls's "Modernes Skandinavisch 1" was a huge success when it was published in Germany in 1997. Wahls's book contributed to the growing popularity of the Scandinavian (or Center Counter-) Defence as a solid weapon.
The Scandinavian is especially practical for black players who don't want to learn too much theory and who don't want to be dependent on White's choices.
The Modern Scandinavian is an updated and expanded translation of "Modernes Skandinavisch 2", which appeared in 2006 and also became a bestseller. This second book focuses not on theoretical lines but on the structural ideas after the moves 1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Qxd5 3.Nc3 Qa5.
- What are the basic ideas in the Scandinavian?
- How do pawn structures dictate plans of attack?
- Which tactical motifs can be expected in certain typical positions?
This book features complete games with lots of smoothly written verbal explanations, making the material highly accessible for amateur players. Co-authors Karsten Miller and Hannes Langrock have added a new theoretical appendix that provides a condensed repertoire for black players.
- This book is the long-awaited updated and expanded translation of a German bestseller considered by many to be the best book ever on the Scandinavian.
- Focuses not on theoretical lines but on the structural ideas after the moves 1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Qxd5 3.Nc3 Qa5.
- The Scandinavian Defense is popular, because there is little theory to learn, and Black can force White into it on move 2.
- Also accessible for players completely new to this opening.
The original edition of The Modern Scandinavian has acquired cult status among chess aficionados. Some have even confessed to have learned German in order to be able to read it! This is no longer necessary, and this new edition will stand for many years, since it is about structures, not about the latest fashions.
About the Author(s)
Grandmaster Matthias Wahls was a German champion in 1996 and 1997. In his home country he has made a name for himself as a chess teacher.
Grandmaster Karsten Muller has gained a great reputation as a author. His "Fundamental Chess Endings" (with Frank Lamprecht) won the British Chess Federation Book of the Year Award, and more recently he published "Bobby Fischer: The Career and Complete Games of the American World Champion". In 2007 Muller was voted "Chess Trainer of the Year" by the German Chess Federation.
Hannes Langrock is a successful International Master who in recent years has written many articles on openings. His first book, "The Modern Morra Gambit" appeared in 2006.
Media Mail Eligible
Media Mail® shipping from the US Postal Service is the cost-effective way to ship Books, Software and DVDs. With shipping rates starting at only 4.00, it's the most affordable shipping method available.